Sign in for community access log in
Not a member? Sign up
Get Blown Away now!
I don't know if Carrie realizes but HSUS is a sworn enemy to 85% of country music fans (maybe more). Very sad to see you joined them. Rest assured I will never listen to or watch a show that you are on again!
Yada Yada Yada. Same Complaints, Threats and so so.
Only thing is, it's a different day and Different Wiseass People.
(See, I can copy and paste too s_giacomo)
It can open your heart. It can break you apart. And it never even slows down. It's the wheel of the world turning around... and around.
I am an Oklahoma native. I went to undergraduate school in Oklahoma, earned a good job and wrapped up a graduate degree in the evenings. I have a great career but have never lost touch with my roots. Any level of success brings people into your life who do not necessarily have your best interests in mind. I hope Carrie has enough trustworthy people around her to advise her about what it means to be country. I grew up in McAlester and was proud to see another "local" make it big time. Carrie's our first female country superstar from SE Oklahoma since Reba McEntire, right? My family owns land next to the McEntire's where I take my son hunting and fishing. Hopefully Carrie is misinformed about HSUS and PETA and will get the real facts. Heck, perhaps give Reba a call? If Carrie is well-informed and makes this her choice, then I must also put my money where my mouth is and spread the word.
To Carrie, the webmaster or moderator of this forum, or anybody close enough to Carrie to relay the message: this issue is spreading through the web and social networks (i.e. MySpace, Facebook, etc.) like a wildfire in the dry southeast Oklahoma countryside. Please do not underestimate the power of informed people. The Dixie Chicks debacle hit the mainstream media through television because comments were against a conservative President. That was great for east and west coast TV ratings but after the dust settled how have their sales been since that time? Who has stayed behind them? Country people remember who is true and "keep it real". There is no doubt that the media will not put this issue front and center on television because there are no ratings to be gained. Please remember that the evolution of technology and social networks, particularly over the last five years, means that people become informed through avenues other than just television these days. Think about this: how many kids who buy music and support artists are on the web versus how many are watching the news? I'd venture to say some media execs have yet to be truly enlightened by this revolutionary change.
7 Things You Didn't Know About HSUS
Posted: November 7, 2008
1) The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) is a “humane society” in name only, since it doesn’t operate a single pet shelter or pet adoption facility anywhere in the United States. During 2006, HSUS contributed only 4.2 percent of its budget to organizations that operate hands-on dog and cat shelters. In reality, HSUS is a wealthy animal-rights lobbying organization (the largest and richest on earth) that agitates for the same goals as PETA and other radical groups.
2) Beginning on the day of NFL quarterback Michael Vick’s 2007 dogfighting indictment, HSUS raised money online with the false promise that it would “care for the dogs seized in the Michael Vick case.” The New York Times later reported that HSUS wasn’t caring for Vick’s dogs at all. And HSUS president Wayne Pacelle told the Times that his group recommended that government officials “put down” (that is, kill) the dogs rather than adopt them out to suitable homes. HSUS later quietly altered its Internet fundraising pitch.
3) HSUS’s senior management includes a former spokesman for the Animal Liberation Front (ALF), a criminal group designated as “terrorists” by the FBI. HSUS president Wayne Pacelle hired John “J.P.” Goodwin in 1997, the same year Goodwin described himself as “spokesperson for the ALF” while he fielded media calls in the wake of an ALF arson attack at a California veal processing plant. In 1997, when asked by reporters for a reaction to an ALF arson fire at a farmer’s feed co-op in Utah (which nearly killed a family sleeping on the premises), Goodwin replied, “We’re ecstatic.” That same year, Goodwin was arrested at a UC Davis protest celebrating the 10-year anniversary of an ALF arson at the university that caused $5 million in damage. And in 1998, Goodwin described himself publicly as a “former member of ALF.”
4) According to a 2008 Los Angeles Times investigation, less than 12 percent of money raised for HSUS by California telemarketers actually ends up in HSUS’s bank account. The rest is kept by professional fundraisers. And if you exclude two campaigns run for HSUS by the “Build-a-Bear Workshop” retail chain, which consisted of the sale of surplus stuffed animals (not really “fundraising”), HSUS’s yield number shrinks to just 3 percent. Sadly, this appears typical. In 2004, HSUS ran a telemarketing campaign in Connecticut with fundraisers who promised to return a minimum of zero percent of the proceeds. The campaign raised over $1.4 million. Not only did absolutely none of that money go to HSUS, but the group paid $175,000 for the telemarketing work.
5) Research shows that HSUS’s heavily promoted U.S. “boycott” of Canadian seafood—announced in 2005 as a protest against Canada’s annual seal hunt—is a phony exercise in media manipulation. A 2006 investigation found that 78 percent of the restaurants and seafood distributors described by HSUS as “boycotters” weren’t participating at all. Nearly two-thirds of them told surveyors they were completely unaware HSUS was using their names in connection with an international boycott campaign. Canada’s federal government is on record about this deception, saying: “Some animal rights groups have been misleading the public for years … it’s no surprise at all that the richest of them would mislead the public with a phony seafood boycott.”
6) HSUS raised a reported $34 million in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, supposedly to help reunite lost pets with their owners. But comparatively little of that money was spent for its intended purpose. Louisiana’s Attorney General shuttered his 18-month-long investigation into where most of these millions went, shortly after HSUS announced its plan to contribute $600,000 toward the construction of an animal shelter on the grounds of a state prison. Public disclosures of the disposition of the $34 million in Katrina-related donations add up to less than $7 million.
7) After gathering undercover video footage of improper animal handling at a Chino, CA slaughterhouse during November of 2007, HSUS sat on its video evidence for three months, even refusing to share it with the U.S. Department of Agriculture. HSUS’s Dr. Michael Greger testified before Congress that the San Bernardino County (CA) District Attorney’s office asked the group “to hold on to the information while they completed their investigation.” But the District Attorney’s office quickly denied that account, even declaring that HSUS refused to make its undercover spy available to investigators if the USDA were present at those meetings. Ultimately, HSUS chose to release its video footage at a more politically opportune time, as it prepared to launch a livestock-related ballot campaign in California. Meanwhile, meat from the slaughterhouse continued to flow into the U.S. food supply for months.
A better choice for donation would be National Animal Interest Alliance NAIA. They are actually trying to preserve our rights as pet owners. I have to register my disappointment with Carrie.
Oh my god. You people.
I think this is the... 6th topic on the HSUS that I've found through out all her forums. I will say the same thing in this one too.
GET OVER IT!
If you don't support her, get off her site. It's sad to see you people acting like a bunch of children.
Just because the big shot of HSUS said this and he said that, doesn't mean he CAN DO IT!
Our rights are in place and still will be 3 years from now.
YOu people freak out over nothing. How about you freak out over our country getting screwed by the government. We're circling the drain. Start acting like Americans and not wild animals! Help this country get back on it's feet.
But don't sit on here and "not" support Carrie. If you don't, then leave.
Carrie you need to start paying attention to what you are doing. If you love animals then for crying out loud PLEASE do not be like so many other celebrities with more money (obviously) then BRAINS. It doesn't take a rocket scientiest to find out the true intentions of Hsus and Peta. But it does take a few minutes of your time and a computer.
Why do you suppose Homeland Security has their eye on Hsus and Peta as terrorist groups..did you know that Carrie? I bet you didn't. Don't be a SHEEP and follow people like Oprah who is another one who has not time to find out the truth..but believes what she is spoonfed by these animal rights orgs.
Grow UP CARRIE and start being responsible..not just foolishly joining something you obviously Know very little about.
Peta destroyed 97 % of the dogs they took in rather then try rehoming them..did you know THAT Carrie??
Go here and do a bit of reading and LEARNING!! This blog is about a AKC Judge that is an an ARista..(animal rights fanatic) he supports Hsus..like YOU do.!!
Wayne Pascal of Hsus has stated openly he has not a problem with seeing a breed (of dog,cat,horse etc) die out. He would rather see all animals seperated from any ownership or stewardship of ALL HUMANS!! He doesn't WANT humans to have PETS of any sort..grow UP CARRIE!!
It is sad that you are supporting HSUS, an enemy of all farmers, hunters, cowboys and pet owners. You should research this organization before pouring support their way. Although I'm sad that you feel the need to support this group, I'll still be a fan and enjoy your music. But please reconsider.
Why on earth would you donate to HSUS? Someone who loves animals needs to research where this money goes as it does NOTHING to help. HSUS & PETA don't have shelters, they are a wealthy political machines determined to prevent companion animals. Do you have any idea how many pets they have killed? Please do your research. Heres one place to do a little research: http://petakillsanimals.com/ .
Very Disappointed in our home girl support of this organization. The real wildlife lovers are the hunting communities that work hard to ensure proper habitat and treatment of all animals is achieved. This HSUS is nothing but a lobby group that does nothing but attack the very groups that are the real animal lovers.
It is staggering that a country girl would betray the very people who have made her famous. celebrities are publicity grabbers, and they don't think or do their research first. look at the train wreck that is pam anderson. she has pet dogs, yet refused to act with them ( perhaps the dog was better). she wore her beloved UGG boots becuase she didn't know they were realy sheep skin. she thought they were shaved in a nice way.
appearantly ms. Underwood has so much money that she needs to give it away... little soes she know she won't be getting much more. IF YOU SLEEP WITH DOGS YOU WAKE UP WITH FLEAS. the HSUS is a parasite sucking the blood from America.
© 2013 Sony Music Entertainment. All Rights Reserved.
19 & Design is a trademark of 19 Entertainment Ltd. Used under license.
ARISTA (Stylized) is a registered trademark of Arista Records, LLC.